Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The value of a moment before it becomes a memory.


As Christmas season has fully sprung upon us, I can't help but get excited for probably one of my favorite times of the year! It's arguably the most wonderful time of the year, right?! (Pun fully intended) Between the beautiful lights, cheerful music and an excuse to get the whole family together, everyone seems to be in a good mood!

...

Except for those without family,  or money, or someone to spread the Christmas cheer with..

So easily we get wrapped up in getting the best gift for everyone, I'm SO guilty of it myself. I try to find something of value to everyone I know, I just want to get everyone everything they've ever wanted and see how excited they get when they open their gifts. Not that you shouldn't buy someone a great gift or feel wrong for spending a little bit more on a gift for someone you love, I do it because I can..not because I feel like I have to, unlike so many others.

The problem is we get so caught up on the price value of a gift over the emotional value that if what we give isn't returned we're left feeling almost, upset and under appreciated. Let me tell you, being broke and upset is really depressing.

I was brought much clarity today when speaking with some family about Christmas and how excited I was to exchange gifts when I could feel the fear of failure when they said to me, "it's going to be a small Christmas from us..we can't afford to do big things." My heart instantly dropped and I felt so sad. It's been put into so many minds that if you don't get the latest and greatest your "Christmas value" is lessened. Please no no no, that's not what it's about at all. Like I said, I do it because I can..I want to and I am able to. 

I have gone through Christmas without gifts, without my mom, with friends and family deployed, by myself, with no money in my account to spend, and after the loss of loved ones. They are some of the most difficult emotional experiences you can go through but they give you such appreciation for what is important. One of my most favorite Christmases to date was just last year. I was living by myself and my mom was out of state working, I didn't think I was going to see her at all and I was going to be stuck spending Christmas alone, again. It was just a sad feeling. To much surprise my mom drove all the way home and her, my stepdad, and myself just stayed in my apartment, cooked dinner and watched movies. No gifts, no money spent, and one of the most valuable family times I have experienced. 

I think when people say money can't buy happiness, those are the moments they refer to. Sure my parents could have sent me gifts, or money and I would have appreciated that but I would remember that time spent together far longer and it will hold far more value to me emotionally than any gift given. 

Coming from a family where physical time spent together is few and far between, those moments are the best gifts I could ever receive. So remember this giving season that not everything you give has to be of monetary value. Time spent lounging around the house, sipping hot cocoa, sledding in the snow, watching movies, just being TOGETHER is huge. Not everybody gets the luxury of having someone to spend this time with so value what DO have. Objects can be replaced, people can't.

"The greatest gift you can give someone is your time because when you are giving someone your time, You are giving them a portion of your life that you will never get back."– Anonymous


The best Christmas gift you can give me this season is to tell those who spend their time and love on you how much you appreciate just that.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone out there!!  May you never forget the value of the moments spent with those you love.


Until next time.
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment